Seed Spotlight

More
Positronics Seeds - Purple Haze #1

Purple Haze #1

Constructed from Mexican, South Indian and Thai variety up until the '70, this plant posseses an incredible resin development. Deliver a clear and energetic high.

Seed Spotlight

More
Positronics Seeds - Blue Rhino

Blue Rhino Seeds

Blue Rhino is the outcome of careful selection among numerous plants from a classical breeding procedure that makes positive that simply one of the most powerful and exquisite hybrids more knowledgeable growers were demanding.

Breeder Spotlight

More
Positronics Seeds

Positronics

One of the first of the Holland seed breeders, Positronics has earned a solid and respected reputation. Positronics set out with the mission of ensuring that home growing supplies were available to everyone.

going from veg to flower

Discussion in 'Growth' started by dragonarm99, May 3, 2012.

1. Offline

CamperDon Master Gardener

Good morning,

A step by step:
    Open veg room, pick a plant you want to begin flowering, bend down pick up plant - move chosen plant to flower room, bend over set plant on table, shelf or floor - then stand upright and smile. Walk away, your done.

There isn't anything to do going from a veg to a flower mode, except change the lights hours or the room if you have more then one space to grow.

I keep my young seedlings/clones under 6500K T5 @ 24 hours for maximum growth. Veggers & Mothers grow under a 6500K T5 set @ 18/6 - this is more of a maintenance light schedule. When it comes to flowering, this tent is powered by 3000K T5 hood with 8 tubes. I don't mix spectrums, just run all red.

I'm a soil gardener and transplant from 2 gal nursery containers to 3 gal grow bags two weeks prior to moving to flower tent, as well as begin feeding flower nutes 1 week before moving. By the time they get into the flower tent (on a Thursday), any transplant shock has passed and the plant should be resumming growth where it left off prior to transplant.

I've been running this way for more then 5 years now with every Thursday being an "end of week" since thats the day plants are added to a flowering scenario. Mondays feed day / Thursdays watering. I use Fox Farms products, soil & nutes according to the older soil schedule and occassionally add a little (2-3 tablespoons) Epsom Salt along the way in late flower on some strains.

Other then this, alot of UVB from the sun for late flowering strains that have a higher THC precentage, such as, the White Widow, White Russian or Trainwreck, just to name a few by moving these plants outside to my back porch on sunny or partial sun days a week or two prior to harvest for a UVB bathing after each plant was hardened off for that lifestyle change.

Hardening off a plant is done by moving to a shady location for several hours and slowly introducing more and more sunshine until the plant can remain under the sun without drooping or displaying other signs of dislike. Remember to water some to hydrate before moving to sunny location.

Other then all that, just make the switch, there isn't anything you need to do - no easing into anything, just do it!

Have a Great day & Good luck with your grow
    don
  2. Offline

dr-stevo

I'm doing what I read in Jorge Cervantes Bible. If he advises it then for me it is the what should be done. But it also makes sense. In outdoors under the sun with the steadily changing day/night times there is time for the plants to transform from veg to bloom. But for indoors one day its vegging and the next day its programmed to flower. This is very sudden and to minimise confusion in the plants, an extra 24 hours of darkness signals the start of flowering.
  3. Offline

buzzmobile You rang?

It really is as simple as changing the light schedule from whatever veg hours one uses to 12/12.
  4. Offline

You now, it's not like the plant makes the transition right away, there will still be a week or so before the plant completes the transformation from veg 24 or 18/6 to 12/12. I doubt the plant is stressing very much during that period although, i'm not a plant so i've no clue in that regard. But either way, theres plenty of time during the transition for them to figure it out.

Its like sexing the plant, just because we switch the light hours to determine sex of a seedlimg doesn't mean the plant automatically sexes the following day. The plant transitions into the shift in lighting times during the first week or two after the switch. This may be longer or shorter for some strains.

Have a good night
    don
    STAN-THE-MAN likes this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. Offline

crying2grow perfect specimen

dr-stevo:

Number one, I admire your obvious interest in the art of horticulture.
    Number two, however, causes me to contemplate your experience.

If you'll notice, your above quote is completely flawed. Take a bit of time, research and I guarantee you'll have no other choice than admitting what I say is true.
    STAN-THE-MAN and CamperDon like this.
  6. Offline

dr-stevo

my research has told me that the extra dark time gives a clear signal to tell the plant its time to begin flowering. like camperdon just said above that it could take a week or two to transform to flowering. maybe the extra dark time could shorten this time. im basing this on my research. its something ive always done so i cant compare it against not doing it.

in terms of my experience i am still quite new to growing. i am far from being an expert on this but i have done a lot of reading. its possible some of what i have read is inaccurate.
  7. Offline

crying2grow perfect specimen

Much of what you have read is inaccurate I assure you. Though, your seemingly honest style of writing encourages folk like me to continue growing.

I don't mean to come across as being some arrogant "BULLWINKLE."

Though, I can fully understand what you are talking about and I'd like to say that I'm in full agreement with you. :)

Be well, my friend.
    STAN-THE-MAN likes this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Offline

tellno1

Have you tried side by side to see if the dark period does indeed make them flower faster, dr-stevo? I did a side by side using a couple of clones a while back, and I honestly didn't see any difference .. 2 clones, 5weeks under 12-1 veg cycle, 1 swtiched to 12/12 immediatly, 1 in 24hr dark then 12/12 and #1 and #2 showed flowers at the same time (within a day of each other) . Now it could have been my veg timeing making the difference , but IMO the dark period isn't necessary to tell the plant to flower.

Also have to agree with crying2go "much of what your read is inaccurate" but I will also add "outdated".

happy growin
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Offline

Good morning,

Maybe then, like tellno1 mentioned, its time in your "i am still new to growing? experiences, to experiment a little with a side-by-side grow using the 2 diciplines you've mentioned above to see for yourself first hand. Rather then basing your finds on someone elses suggestions.

I used to grow according to Ed Rosenthal' methods as read from many of his books on the subject but, as time went on and my own personal experiences evolved, I grew to find what worked best for me. This will come to you as well, in time as you grow and become more and more familiar with the art of cultivation. And I gotta say, its truely become an art.

I can fully understand the need for information weather it be through reading or hanging out in forums like this one to gain more info. Forums these days, I feel are better then any one book or CD due to the many more people's, both experienced and not so much to watch and learn from, through written word and the many photos the contributors are willing to post.

Why grow forums are better then books: Things you can't get from a book or CD, a near instant answer to questions asked. This may take minutes or a day or two but, you will get an answer or many of them. Your own trail n error experiments will determine the right course of action to take. As you gain experience through successful or not so harvests you'll better understand the many intricacies of the hobby.

You'll become the better grower!

Have a Great day and stay in the forums ~ we're really here to help
    don
    STAN-THE-MAN likes this.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Offline

dr-stevo

If I read something in a book, at the time of writing I assume this information is correct. I have read many posts in forums that contradict each other. I could easily write someting that I believe is correct and someone else could read it and tell someone else this incorrect advice. People need to be careful with what they read in forums.

My initial reading came from an old version of Jorge Cervantes Bible. It's probably about 7 years old so there is a good chance that some of the material is not inaccurate but is outdated.

Thanks though for the criticism. It will encourage me to research in areas that I assumed I was knowledgable on.
    STAN-THE-MAN and CamperDon like this.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List