Seed Spotlight

More
Positronics Seeds - Purple Haze #1

Purple Haze #1

Constructed from Mexican, South Indian and Thai variety up until the '70, this plant posseses an incredible resin development. Deliver a clear and energetic high.

Seed Spotlight

More
Positronics Seeds - Blue Rhino

Blue Rhino Seeds

Blue Rhino is the outcome of careful selection among numerous plants from a classical breeding procedure that makes positive that simply one of the most powerful and exquisite hybrids more knowledgeable growers were demanding.

Breeder Spotlight

More
Positronics Seeds

Positronics

One of the first of the Holland seed breeders, Positronics has earned a solid and respected reputation. Positronics set out with the mission of ensuring that home growing supplies were available to everyone.

How to build your DIY LED array

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by knna, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Offline

TangbuaT

You are absolutely right!!!

and i have been, beleave me!!!

but the only thing i'v got so far is the "obsolete" copper tape and kapton tape!! :D

i can get stuck forever with drivers and amounts of reds vs deep reds, blues and whites...

not to mention heatsinks, alu rails and plates......

they say time is money!

i have a lot of time, but no money!! :2cents:
    EDIT:yay.. first post at page 100!!! cake is on me!
    :cake:
  2. Offline

imnotawino Seedling

Better take your time and do it right, or else you will make some expensive mistakes!! :p

To get going quickly, I would buy the LED's already soldered to the stars (DealExtreme or Futurled). Drivers - very important - Meanwell (China/eBay) makes good ones, or a little bit more DIY are the Buck-Puck drivers. That is also the expensive way to go, but also cheap if you don't have a lot of knowledge, as they should help protect you from beginner mistakes like overdriving the LEDs. All the different variables - heatsinks, drivers, wavelengths, etc. - and getting them to all play together nicely are what make it so fun!

If you have some electronics knowledge, you can make your own drivers for less than $5 each, vs $18(?) for the Buck-Pucks or $50 for the Meanwells. And that's more fun and gives you bragging rights as well.

Because you can't get volume discounts like the manufacturers do, you will certainly pay more to DIY vs. buy a 90W UFO. But again, the satisfaction of DIY as well as maybe the stealth factor make the DIY a more attactive option for me.
  3. Offline

The Bong Master

I feel ya on the money part. I'd like to get another coupld hundred Watts of LED going, but I'm short on both time and money.

The only links I can help with are my own. When I first started, I had many questions also, but after a couple months of researching and sorting out all the LED info, it became easier to use. Since I work in the electronics industry, it definitely helps on the electrical and building part, but I was also confused about how to spec emitters and who has the best ones to use when I first started considering LEDs for growing.

Here is a post on DIY LED emitter selection. I outline the major players in the LED race and also list some sources to get them from.
    http://www.gardenscure.com/420/lighting/144228-diy-led-emitter-selection.html

Here is a post on my DIY PC build, but more important is the steps I took to build my first LED array. I don't use Kapton tape anymore, but this could give an idea. I think I go over string calculations and how to size up a driver also. I think there is an excel light calculator spreadsheet I came up with to help determine LED count and driver sizing.
    http://www.gardenscure.com/420/soil-grow-journals/143212-total-diy-pc-build.html

I saved the best for last. KNNA's post on lighting concepts for LED growing. The gold mine of lighting info.
    http://www.gardenscure.com/420/lighting/117599-needed-lighting-concepts-develop-led-grow.html

Good luck with your build. Post up any issues/questions and I'll be happy to offer some assistance.
    1 people like this.
  4. Offline

mx5spd Seedling

Welcome back Knna so nice to hear from you again.

BongMiester :D Got a question for you. The MCPCB bases for the Dragons do they have a adhesive layer installed for application to the heatsink or do you use Arctic Silver to attach them to the heatsink?

Thanks
  5. Offline

imnotawino Seedling

They are usually bare. Thermal perfomance of soldering (stars to HS) is best, followed by thermal paste + screws, followed by thermal epoxy. Thermal adhesive also works if you can find the stuff that is suuuper thin - like 2 mils or less. For performance + convenience, I'd recommend applying Actic Silver paste and screw them down tight.
  6. Offline

tihiniko Seedling

I have a little video of my light, just posting quickly, will update my post after I get home from school..
    P.S. sorry for the angle, dunno how to turn :b
    My DIY led light - YouTube
  7. Offline

TangbuaT

Best DIY led i'v seen so far, hands down!!!

Good work right there!!!
  8. Offline

mx5spd Seedling

Let me get this correct, you are saying I need to drill and tap a zillion little holes in my heatsink to attach the LEDs. Or I can attempt to solder to a heatsink, my sink is rather large I would need oxy acetylene to get it hot enough.

I understand those methods are prefered but I was hoping to find a easier more effective method than using tape.
  9. Offline

imnotawino Seedling

I'm just saying that in general, you want to minimize the thermal resistance. IMHO, screwing the stars on is the best reversible option for the DIYer. In case you decide to change the layout or whatever, all you have to do is drill a couple new holes and grease up the new spot.

You can also solder the stars directly to the heatsink if you want. In that case I wouldn't use the big torch as that might damage the LEDs. Instead, I'd stick the whole shebang into the oven and reflow solder it.
    1 people like this.
  10. Offline

imnotawino Seedling

1000 posts!

Shout out to knna for this thread. :angel: This is the best resource on the Internet for DIY LED lights. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us! :clapping: